Saturday, July 7, 2007

My Favorite Movies: SUNSET BOULEVARD

Director: Billy Wilder
Year: 1950

One of the most bizaare and cynical films ever to come out of Hollywood, Sunset Boulevard remains one of the best movies about the business of making movies. A struggling writer stumbles upon the decrepit mansion of a faded star. From there unfolds a stinging satire of delusion, ambition, and broken dreams. Double Indemnity was hot, and I haven't seen The Apartment, but I'm not sure if Billy Wilder ever did a better film than this. Gloria Swanson delivered one of the most memorable performances of all-time as Norma Desmond, the quintessential has-been. The film got nominated for 11 Oscars, but maybe because it hit too close to home, it won only three, one for its dark and carefully observed screenplay.

READ

WATCH

BUY

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"The Apartment" was great! The scale of "Sunset Boulevard" attempts to be more majestic, but what makes "The Apartment" better for me is how it turns a simple proposition into an insightful commentary on human nature.

Also, Jack Lemmon can make any movie passable.

Though, if I hadn't heard the Lloyd Webber musical before I watched the source movie, maybe I would have had a better opinion of "Sunset Boulevard."