Monday, July 16, 2007

My Favorite Movies: HIGH FIDELITY

Director: Stephen Frears
Year: 2000

Perfect casting, perfect adaptation of a Nick Hornby novel, not to mention a very cool movie over-all, High Fidelity is about a record store owner, his string of girlfriends, his neuroses, and his buddies. However, what keeps me coming back to this movie is THE SIGHT OF ALL THOSE VINYL LPs. I'll be writing about my obsession with vinyl later, but I'll put on record (RECORD!) that VINYL LPs MAKE MY KNEES WEAK. There. Where was I? Jack Black is a genius. Stephen Frears is tops. Joan Cusack reliable as ever. And John Cusack finally had another perfect role deserving of his skills after Say Anything.

READ

WATCH

BUY

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was a mixed-tape fiend too throughout the late '80s and the '90s. Always nice to "tell a story" through the song selection.

I miss the vinyls, too. We had tons of them back in the day.

One of top five break-ups that blew me away (was it the one with Penny Hardwick? I can't memorize their names) was the one where the girl he breaks up becomes the victim of a date rape. Not cool, Rob, not cool at all.

If Jack Black never appeared in another movie, his character in this movie would have set him up for immortaility.