Saturday, June 23, 2007

My Favorite Movies: NINOTCHKA



Director: Ernst Lubitsch
Year: 1939

I've read about the classic romantic comedy Ninotchka long before I finally caught it on TCM at 3 in the morning a few years back. The press surrounding the movie was mostly about film legend Greta Garbo finally laughing onscreen. Garbo was cool as ice. She always played this woman who was distant and unattainable, even in her silent films. When she finally spoke (in the 1930 movie Anna Christie), people heard a voice that matched her looks and she became a bigger star. Directed by the legendary Ernst Lubitsch, Ninotchka broke Garbo's icy demeanor, when halfway through the movie, she laughs. And laughs and laughs. More than the film's stars and their fantastic acting, I remember this movie fondly for its sparkling and witty script. Here is a scene wherein Garbo's stern Russian agent Nina Ivanovna Yakushova (aka Ninotchka) is being wooed by the very confident playboy Count Leon d'Algout, played by Melvyn Douglas:

INTERIOR, LIVING ROOM -- LEON'S APARTMENT Leon enters the room. Closes the door. Ninotchka is examining the room.

LEON

Well, may I offer you a drink, or how about something to eat?

NINOTCHKA

Thank you. I've had all the calories necessary for today.

Leon feels a little uncertain as to how to approach this creature.

NINOTCHKA

What do we do now?

LEON

We take off our hat and coat. (he takes her things) We sit down -- we make ourselves comfortable. We adjust ourselves to the prospect of a most enjoyable evening. We look at each other. We smile.

(Ninotchka doesn't respond)

Well... we don't smile. How about some music?

NINOTCHKA

Is that customary?

LEON

It helps. It has ever since King David wooed Bathsheba with the harp. As I am not so fortunate as to have my harp at hand, I shall turn on the radio.

NINOTCHKA (the observer)

I should say this room is eighteen by twenty-five.

LEON

Not too big and not too small. What I'd call the typical room of an average man. Or shall we say a little above average. Now if there are any special aspects you wish to study I have nothing to conceal. Just look around. That's my desk. Those are my books, and here am I. Where shall we begin?

NINOTCHKA

I will start with you.

LEON

That's great. I'm thirty-five years old. Just over six feet tall. I weigh a hundred and eighty-two pounds stripped.

NINOTCHKA

And what is your profession?

LEON

Keeping my body fit, keeping my mind alert, keeping my landlord appeased. That's a full-time job.

NINOTCHKA

And what do you do for mankind?

LEON

For mankind not a thing -- for womankind the record is not quite so bleak.

NINOTCHKA

You are something we do not have in Russia.

LEON

Thank you. Thank you.

NINOTCHKA

That is why I believe in the future of my country.

LEON

I begin to believe in it myself since I've met you. I still don't know what to make of it. It confuses me, it frightens me a little, but it fascinates me, Ninotchka.

NINOTCHKA

You pronounce it incorrectly. Ni-notchka.

LEON

Ni-notchka.

NINOTCHKA

That is correct.

LEON

Ninotchka, do you like me just a little bit?

NINOTCHKA

Your general appearance is not distasteful.

LEON

Thank you.

NINOTCHKA

Look at me. The whites of your eyes are clear. Your cornea is excellent.

LEON

Your cornea is terrific. Tell me -- you're so expert on things -- can it be that I'm falling in love with you?

NINOTCHKA

You are bringing in wrong values. Love is a romantic designation for a most ordinary biological, or shall we say chemical, process. A lot of nonsense is talked and written about it.

LEON

Oh, I see. What do you use instead?

NINOTCHKA

I acknowledge the existence of a natural impulse common to all.

LEON

What can I possibly do to encourage such an impulse in you?

NINOTCHKA

You don't have to do a thing. Chemically we are already quite sympathetic.

LEON (bewildered, and yet completely intrigued)

You're the most improbable creature I've ever met in my life, Ninotchka, Ninotchka...

NINOTCHKA

You repeat yourself.

LEON

I'd like to say it a thousand times.

NINOTCHKA

Don't do it, please.

LEON

I'm at a loss, Ninotchka. You must forgive me if I appear a little old-fashioned. After all, I'm just a poor bourgeois.

NINOTCHKA

It's never too late to change. I used to belong to the petty bourgeoisie myself. My father and mother wanted me to stay and work on the farm, but I preferred the bayonet.

LEON (bewildered)

The bayonet? Did you really?

NINOTCHKA

I was wounded before Warsaw.

LEON

Wounded? How?

NINOTCHKA

I was a sergeant in the Third Cavalry Brigade. Would you like to see my wound?

LEON (dumfounded)

I'd love to. (she pulls the blouse off her shoulder and shows him her scar)Tsk, tsk, tsk.

NINOTCHKA

A Polish lancer. I was sixteen.

LEON

Poor Ninotchka. Poor, poor Ninotchka.

NINOTCHKA (readjusting her blouse)

Don't pity me. Pity the Polish lancer. After all, I'm alive.

More and more puzzled and fascinated, Leon sits down close to her.

LEON

What kind of a girl are you, anyway?

NINOTCHKA

Just what you see. A tiny cog in the great wheel of evolution.

LEON

You're the most adorable cog I ever saw in my life. Ninotchka, Cogitska, let me confess something. Never did I dream I could feel like this toward a sergeant.

A clock strikes.

LEON

Do you hear that?

NINOTCHKA

It's twelve o'clock.

LEON

It's midnight. One half of Paris is making love to the other half. Look at the clock. One hand has met the other hand. They kiss. Isn't that wonderful?

NINOTCHKA

That's the way a clock works. There's nothing wonderful about it. You merely feel you must put yourself in a romantic mood to add to your exhilaration.

LEON

I can't possibly think of a better reason.

NINOTCHKA

It's false sentimentality.

LEON (trying desperately to make her mood more romantic)

You analyze everything out of existence. You analyze me out of existence. I won't let you. Love is not so simple. Ninotchka, Ninotchka, why do doves bill and coo? Why do snails, coldest of all creatures, circle interminably around each other? Why do moths fly hundreds of miles to find their mates? Why do flowers open their petals? Oh, Ninotchka, Ninotchka, surely you feel some slight symptom of the divine passion... a general warmth in the palms of your hands... a strange heaviness in your limbs... a burning of the lips that is not thirst but a thousand times more tantalizing, more exalting, than thirst? He pauses, waiting for the results of his speech.

NINOTCHKA

You are very talkative.

That is too much for Leon. He takes her into his arms and kisses her.

LEON

Was that talkative?

NINOTCHKA

No, that was restful. Again.

Leon kisses her again.

NINOTCHKA

Thank you.

LEON

Oh, my barbaric Ninotchka. My impossible, unromantic, statistical...

The telephone rings.

LEON (continuing)

Glorious, analytical...

NINOTCHKA

The telephone is ringing.

LEON

Oh, let it ring.

READ

WATCH

BUY

No comments: